UltraFast® Design Methodology
UltraFast® Design Methodology
DEPRECATED COURSE: This course is older and no longer offered with our regular course list. It is only available as a private class.
Please contact the BLT Training Team to schedule a private class.
This course describes the FPGA design best practices and skills to be successful using the Vivado™ Design Suite. This includes the necessary skills to improve design speed and reliability, including: system reset design, synchronization circuits, optimum HDL coding techniques, and timing closure techniques using the Vivado™ software. This course encapsulates this information with an UltraFast® design methodology case study. The UltraFast® design methodology checklist is also introduced.
After completing this comprehensive training, you will know how to:
- Describe the UltraFast® Design Methodology Checklist
- Identify key areas to optimize your design to meet your design goals and performance objectives
- Define a properly constrained design
- Optimize HDL code to maximize the FPGA resources that are inferred and meet your performance goals
- Build resets into your system for optimum reliability and design speed
- Build a more reliable design that is less vulnerable to metastability problems and requires less design debugging later in the development cycle
- Identify timing closure techniques using the Vivado™ Design Suite
- Describe how the UltraFast® design methodology techniques work effectively through case studies and lab experience
- UltraFast® Design Methodology: Planning
Introduces the methodology guidelines on planning and the UltraFast® Design Methodology checklist.
- UltraFast® Design Methodology: Design Creation and Analysis
Overview of the methodology guidelines on design creation and analysis.
- HDL Coding Techniques
Covers basic digital coding guidelines used in an FPGA design.
Investigates the impact of using asynchronous resets in a design.
- Register Duplication
Use register duplication to reduce high fanout nets in a design.
- Synchronous Design Techniques
Introduces synchronous design techniques used in an FPGA design.
- Vivado™ Design Suite I/O Pin Planning
Use the I/O Pin Planning layout to perform pin assignments in a design.
- Vivado™ Design Rule Checks
Run a DRC report on the elaborated design to detect design issues early in the flow. Fix the DRC violations.
- Creating and Packaging Custom IP
Create your own IP and package and include it in the Vivado™ IP catalog.
- UltraFast® Design Methodology: Design Closure
Introduces the UltraFast® methodology guidelines on design closure.
- UltraFast® Design Methodology: Advanced Techniques
Introduces the methodology guidelines for advanced techniques.
Use Xilinx-recommended baselining procedures to progressively meet timing closure.
Use pipelining to improve design performance.
Infer Xilinx dedicated hardware resources by writing appropriate HDL code.
- Revision Control Systems in the Vivado™ Design Suite
Use version control systems with Vivado™ design flows.
- Synchronization Circuits
Use synchronization circuits for clock domain crossings.
- Introduction to Floorplanning
Introduction to floorplanning and how to use Pblocks while floorplanning.
- Physical Optimization
Use physical optimization techniques for timing closure.
- Power Management Techniques
Identify techniques used for low power design.
- Vivado™ Design Suite Debug Methodology
Understand and follow the debug core recommendations. Employ the debug methodology for debugging a design using the Vivado™ logic analyzer.
Who should attend:
Engineers who seek training for FPGA design best practices that increase design performance and increase development productivity.
- Some knowledge of FPGA design techniques is helpful
- Experience with the Vivado™ Design Suite or attendance of one of our existing Vivado™ Design Suite training courses is required
- Intermediate knowledge of Verilog or VHDL