Embedded Systems Design
Embedded Systems Design
This course is designed to bring FPGA designers up to speed on developing embedded systems using the Vivado™ Design Suite. The features and capabilities of both the Zynq® All Programmable System on a Chip (SoC) and the MicroBlaze® soft processor are covered in lectures, demonstrations, and labs, along with general embedded concepts, tools, and techniques. The hands-on labs provide students with experience designing, expanding, and modifying an embedded system, including adding and simulating a custom AXI-based peripheral using bus functional model (BFM) simulation.
The Xilinx Zynq® All Programmable SoC enables a new level of system design capabilities over previous embedded technologies and this is highlighted throughout the course.
After completing this comprehensive training, you will know how to:
- Describe the various tools that encompass a Xilinx embedded design
- Rapidly architect an embedded system containing a MicroBlaze® or Cortex®-A9 processor using the Vivado™ IP integrator and Customization WizardDevelop software applications utilizing the Eclipse-based Software Development Kit (SDK)
- Create and integrate an IP-based processing system component in the Vivado™ Design SuiteDesign and add a custom AXI interface-based peripheral to the embedded processing system
- Simulate a custom AXI interface-based peripheral using a bus functional model (BFM)
- Embedded UltraFast® Design Methodology
Outlines the different elements that comprise the Embedded Design Methodology.
- Overview of Embedded Hardware Development
Overview of the embedded hardware development flow.
- Driving the IP Integrator Tool
Describes how to access and effectively use the IPI tool.
- Overview of Embedded Software Development
Reviews the process of building a user application.
- Driving the SDK Tool
Introduces the basic behaviors required to drive the SDK tool to generate a debuggable C/C++ application.
- AXI: Introduction
Introduces the AXI protocol.
- AXI: Variations
Describes the differences and similarities among the three primary AXI variations.
- AXI: Transactions
Describes different types of AXI transactions.
- Introduction to Interrupts
Introduces the concept of interrupts, basic terminology, and generic implementation.
- Interrupts: Hardware Architecture and Support
Reviews the hardware that is typically available to help implement and manage interrupts.
- AXI: Connecting AXI IP
Describes the relationships between different types of AXI interfaces and how they can be connected to form hierarchies.
- Using the Create and Import Wizard to Create a New AXI IP
Explains how to use the Create and Import Wizard to create and package an AXI IP.
- AXI: BFM Simulation Using Verification IP
Describes how to perform BFM simulation using the Verification IP.
- MicroBlaze® Processor Architecture Overview
Overview of the MicroBlaze® microprocessor architecture.
- MicroBlaze® Processor Block Memory Usage
Highlights how block RAM can be used with the MicroBlaze® processor.
- Zynq®-7000 All Programmable SoC Architecture Overview
Overview of the Zynq®-7000 All Programmable SoC architecture.
- Zynq® Ultrascale+™ MPSoC Architecture Overview
Overview of the Zynq® Ultrascale+™ MPSoC architecture.
No Scheduled Sessions - Contact Us to ask about setting one up!
Education Investment Options
- To qualify for the Advanced Registration Price, full payment must be received 21 days prior to the first day of class.
- Basic follow-on coaching includes 2 hours (max 2 calls)
- Comprehensive follow-on coaching includes 10 hours (max 5 calls)
- Follow-on Coaching must be purchased at time of registration.
Who should attend:
Engineers who are interested in developing embedded systems with the Xilinx Zynq® All Programmable SoC or MicroBlaze® soft processor core using the Embedded Development Kit.
FPGA design experienceCompletion of the Vivado™ Boot Camp: Basic Training course or equivalent knowledge of Xilinx Vivado™ software implementation tools
Basic understanding of C programming
Basic understanding of microprocessors
Some HDL modeling experience
Vivado™ Design or System Edition 2017.1